Toasting nuts in a hot skillet until dark brown is one of our “go to” kitchen secrets and is a quick and simple way to transform a bland and boring ingredient into something totally delicious and addictive. We use toasted nuts a lot in our cooking – sprinkled on salads, as a topper for soups and sauteed veggies, as a nice crunch on desserts, or just to eat by the handful. Almonds taste so much better when heavily toasted and they become smoky, salty, intensely flavored and really nutty…plus they are packed with healthy nutrients making them a perfect snack. Click here for some of the health benefits.
- 1/2 cup raw or pre-toasted slivered almonds (try Trader Joe’s – price is right and quality great)
- salt to finish
Heat heavy duty un-greased skillet over medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Add sliced almonds and toast for 4-5 minutes shaking skillet vigorously to brown on all sides. Continue to toast until dark but not burnt….be careful not to walk away from the stove here….they go from perfectly dark brown to black, burnt and bitter in a blink. Sprinkle with kosher salt and remove from the hot skillet to stop the cooking and to cool. Store in an airtight container for up to 2 months.
Here are a few serving suggestions:
– Goat cheese crostini topped with toasted almonds
– Mashed avocado on toast with drizzle of olive oil, salt, pepper and toasted almonds
– Bacon wrapped dates stuffed with Manchego cheese and toasted almonds
– Cinnamon and brown sugar coated almonds over ice cream or french toast
The possibilities are endless…..make up a big batch of toasted almonds (or other nuts like pistachios, pine nuts, walnuts, pecans, etc,) and see for yourself how a dark pan roasting can transform this ordinary ingredient into something addictively delicious.