Stuffed mushrooms make the perfect party bite…they’re great for holiday entertaining and really fun and easy to make. Serve them as a side dish, an appetizer or as passed hors d’oeuvres and stuff them with your favorite flavor combo. Here’s a house favorite using Italian sausage, grated parmesan cheese and a package of frozen spinach.
Stuffed Mushrooms with Sausage & Spinach
Makes 24 pieces – 1 hr. start to finish
- 2 lbs. white button mushrooms (large) – about 24 total
- 1/2 lb. Italian sausage – sweet and/or spicy removed from casing
- 3 cloves garlic – minced
- 1 onion – finely chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup seasoned Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 package frozen spinach – defrosted, chopped and drained of water
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 oz. dried porcini mushrooms – reconstituted in water (optional)
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or mushroom broth
- Using a paring knife, cut around edge of mushrooms removing stem and gills to create a cavity for the stuffing. Reserve mushrooms pieces and place hollowed caps on a baking sheet lined with foil.
- Saute sausage on medium heat in a large skillet for 10-15 minutes or until browned. Remove cooked sausage with slotted spoon and set aside to cool reserving 2 tablespoons of oil from the rendered sausage.
- Finely chop reserved mushroom pieces (stems and gills), and chop cooked sausage pieces that are in larger chunks.
- Saute chopped onion in sausage oil and half of the olive oil for 2-3 minutes or until translucent and add minced garlic and chopped spinach. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in mushroom pieces and chopped sausage and cook for a few minutes to combine all the flavors. Stir in breadcrumbs, remaining olive oil, grated cheese and stock to create a moist stuffing mixture. Give it a taste and season with salt and pepper as needed. Let cool for 5-10 minutes
- Using a teaspoon, fill the mushroom caps with the stuffing. Bake for 20 minutes in 350 degree oven until stuffing browns. Drain excess liquid and serve hot topped with a sprinkle of grated Parmesan and a dash of lemon juice.