Here’s a 10 minute appetizer trio you can whip up using a hunk of fresh or packaged mozzarella, some crusty bread, and a few ingredients from the fridge and pantry. Mozzarella is really versatile and is perfect for making great tasting and looking appetizers in a snap. We made our three versions with pesto and lemon zest, oven roasted tomato confit and capers, and prosciutto and kalamata olives….all things we keep in the fridge and use often. Mix it up with your favorite toppings.
Mozzarella Crostini – 3 Tasty Toppings
makes 12 pieces total/4 each
- 8 oz. fresh or packaged Mozzarella – room temperature and sliced thinly (12 slices)
- 1 baguette – sliced thinly (12 slices)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh or prepared pesto
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tablespoons tomato confit (see recipe)
- 1 tablespoon capers – salted or jarred
- 2 slices prosciutto – halved
- 2 pitted kalamata olives – halved
- Salt and fresh cracked pepper
- Slice mozzarella and baguette into thin slices of equal size.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking pan with aluminum foil.
- Brush or drizzle bread slices with a touch of olive oil and crisp in oven for 5 minutes as you’re prepping your toppings
- Layer each crostini with 1 slice of mozzarella and these topping combos: 1) dollop of pesto and lemon zest; 2) dollop of tomato confit and caper; 3) prosciutto and kalamata olive half. Crack pepper on top of each piece and sprinkle with a touch of salt.
- Bake for 5 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Serve immediately as a hot appetizer and slice up any additional mozzarella and bread and dress with olive oil, salt and cracked pepper.