Here’s a really simple, quick and tasty appetizer that’s always one of the first to go. We had a big wheel of brie left over from the holidays so decided to top it with some raspberry/strawberry jam, wrap in puff pastry we had in the freezer, bake and serve it hot and gooey with crackers. It’s ready in 20 minutes.
- 1 package frozen puff pastry -packages come with 2 sheets (available in supermarket freezer section)
- 8 oz. piece brie with rind left on
- 1/4 cup raspberry/strawberry jam or preserves (apricot works well too)
- Chopped toasted walnuts, pecan or almonds (optional for crunch)
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 beaten egg to use as egg wash
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Defrost 1 sheet of puff pastry for 15-20 minutes so it become pliable and unfold. I sheet is perfect for an 8 oz. piece.
- Use a rolling pin or aluminum can to gently roll and expand the puff pastry by 1-2 inches all around.
- Place brie in center of puff pastry and top liberally with jam, nuts, and cracked pepper.
- Bring all 4 corners of puff pastry to the center to seal the package.
- Place on ungreased baking sheet and brush with egg wash to help it bake golden brown.
- Bake 20 minutes or until golden and serve with nice crackers.
* Pairs perfectly with full flavored winter beers, chardonnay and bourbon.